How to Go to the Beach
I consider myself a professional beach-goer, and I take "beaching" very seriously. So today, in no particular order, I am going to suggest a few things you should consider bringing with you the next time you find yourself at the shore (as well as show you some pretty pictures I took the last time I was at my local beach.
- An umbrella. "But Emily, I don't need an umbrella because I want to get sun." Trust me, 20 minutes in the strong summer sun and I'm like get me some shade STAT. I love the warmth of the sun, but sometimes it's very overwhelming. I don't want to be uncomfortable at the beach. It's supposed to be relaxing.
- A chair. "Oh come on, Emily. I don't need a chair. How old am I, FIFTY?" Yes, you need a chair. Even though it's sand, it's still the hard ground and eventually, everything will hurt. Bring a chair, preferably one that has a cup holder on the side. I recommend the Tommy Bahama chairs available at your local Costco for $30.
- Lots of water. You'll want to stay hydrated because it's not sexy to have EMTs take you away on a golf cart. We bring a whole water jug filled with lemon water and ice and it usually lasts the whole day.
- Sunscreen. Not that oily SPF 1 shit. Bring SPF 30+. You'll still get the color you want, I promise you. Thank me later when you don't have melanoma and you don't look like Tan Mom.
- Food. If your beach has a concession, chances are the only food they offer will make McDonald's look like a 5 star restaurant (except the french fries...the concession french fries kick ass). Take some time in the morning or the night before to pack a few snacks and make some quick sandwiches.
- Bug spray. You never know when those annoying green flies will be out to make your life miserable.
- A towel. Duh. Maybe 2.
It's a lot of extra, bulky stuff but it'll make your trip to the beach much more comfortable. And now for the pretty pictures.
If you follow me on Instagram, you probably saw this picture:
If you live near water, what do you bring to the beach? Did I forget anything?