I have a question for you today: what makes you click that FOLLOW button?
Since I recently got back into blogging, I've also followed a lot of new blogs. In doing so, I've often wondered what motivates someone to follow a certain blog? What's the magic combination of blogger traits that bring someone to click that follow button? And I've also wondered this every time I get a notification that someone has followed my blog, the (so far) six times it's happened. Here are the main things that I, personally, look for in a blogger:
- Female. Duh.
- Usually mid-20s to early 30s. Also duh.
- Preferably unmarried, but I've been known to follow some bloggers who are married. I am unmarried myself and I really can't relate to the whole marriage in your early twenties thing, but I don't see it as a blog-following dealbreaker.
- Childless. Sorry, I'm just more Carrie Bradshaw than the Duggar family. Go ahead and feel bad for me and my tar-black soul.
There's a lot more to it. I appreciate when a blogger has great photography, a well-designed site that isn't too cluttered, and a unique tone of voice. I'm a fan of snark, so I guess I look for my snarky kindred spirits. I like when a blogger isn't squeaky clean. Maybe it's just my Long Island roots, but I love when a blogger uses profanities. LET'S NOT PRETEND WE DON'T ALL DO IT IN REAL LIFE, PEOPLE.
Anyway, here are some blogs I've been reading lately:
- Two Thirds Hazel. Erin lives in New York City (but might be moving soon). She has great photos and I love her voice (see above about snark).
- Back East Blonde. Another instance of loving the blogger's voice. Nadine also has a whole page on her site with posts that contain really great blogging resources and tools.
- Star-Crossed Smile. I've been following Nnenna for a few years now. She writes a great beauty/style/lifestyle blog and is a BEAST at Pinterest.
- Queenie and the Dew. Another blogger I've been following for a while. Sally is English, so I love seeing her photos of London and the English countryside. She's also not afraid to be honest and admit that she gets drunk.
So now tell me...what makes you follow?